Auto Insurance Glossary

Bodily Injury Liability coverage (BI): covers injuries that happen to passengers in another vehicle when you are responsible for causing the accident. Legal fees, bail bonds and court costs are also covered. This coverage is not available without Property Damage coverage.

Property Damage coverage (PD): will pay for damages to another person’s property resulting from an accident where you are found to be legally responsible. The limit you select is the maximum amount that will be paid out on your behalf in any one accident.

Uninsured Motorists Coverage (UM): which provides protection for bodily injuries caused by a negligent motorist who has no insurance, is a hit and run driver, or has lower Bodily Injury Liability limits than your Uninsured Motorists Coverage policy limits.

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Coverage (UMPD): which provides protection for damage to a ‘covered auto’ when damage is caused by someone who has no insurance, is a hit and run driver, or has lower Property Damage Liability limits than your UMPD policy limits. Unless you select lower limits, we will provide UMPD coverage to you in limits equal to your Property Damage Liability Coverage limits.

Medical Payments coverage (MED PAY): covers you, household relatives and guest passengers for injuries sustained in an auto accident, regardless of who is at fault. It also covers you if you are hit by a vehicle as a pedestrian.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP): includes benefits for medical and hospital expenses, funeral expenses, income continuation, and loss of essential services resulting from an accident in which you, your family or your passengers are injured in an insured vehicle. PIP also provides protection if you or a family memeber is struck by a car while walking. This coverage is provided regardless of who is at fault. Each PIP benefit is subject to a separate maximum per person, per accident limit.

Comprehensive Deductible Coverage (COMP): protects your car. It covers damages for most circumstances other than collision; including theft, fire, vandalism, hail and animal contact. Payments are made on an actual cash value (ACV) basis minus the deductible.

Collision Deductible Coverage (COLL): covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car after colliding or overturning. Payments are made on an actual cash value (ACV) basis minus the deductible. Coverage is not available without COMP.

Rental, or Extended Transportation Expenses coverage: provides coverage for the expense of renting a substitute auto while the insured’s covered auto is disabled for more than 24 hours by a loss caused by collision or covered under Comprehensive on the policy. This coverage does not apply when there is a total theft of the auto.

Towing coverage (TOW): pays up to the limit requested for towing your vehicle and any labor costs at the place of disablement. It does not pay for parts or subsequent repair costs.

Loan/Lease Gap Coverage: pays the difference between the actual cash value of your vehicle and the unpaid principal due on your loan balance OR the amount due under the terms of a lease if your car is totaled due to an accident covered by comprehensive or collision. Loan/Lease Gap Coverage does not cover carry over balances, lease penalties, over due payments or extended warranties. You must be the original purchaser of a financed or leased auto from a new car dealer to be eligible for this coverage (no previous owner).

* All coverages are subject to availability and qualifications. Other terms, conditions and exclusions may apply. This is a brief description of coverages; this is not a contract. Please read your individual policy for full coverage details.