Business Insurance Agent
There are a lot of business insurance agents out there who say they can insure your business, and while that can be true, you have risked a lot to start your business, don’t risk it all with someone who doesn’t know what they are doing. When looking for a business insurance agent, typically I would say start with your friends and family, but this might be the worst place to start because you want to find an independent insurance agent that knows your type of business. The search for a good insurance agent is similar to searching for a good financial adviser or doctor, however make sure you understand what an auto insurance agent really is.
A few considerations when searching for a business insurance agent
- How many companies do they have access to provide offers from? If they can only offer one company, this means they are captive to that one business insurance company. This also means they are just a salesperson, not an adviser for you. Many times this is where people think they are saving money on business insurance, but end up just buying less coverage. On the flip side, you may be buying coverage’s but not fully addressing all of the risks that your business faces in today’s world.
- Are they required to provide a specific business insurance companies offer first? Some business insurance companies require their agents to offer their product first even if it is not right for you.
- Is the agent trying to get to know your business so they can match your business needs with the coverage’s you are searching for?
- Be aware of agents who simply want to give you the cheapest business insurance price.
- If the new business insurance is less expensive, ask them what is missing! In our experience, most people end up just buying less because something was either missing that you already had or the insurance agent cut coverage
Captive Insurance Companies
- Allstate Insurance
- American Family
- American National
- Country Financial
- Farmers Insurance
- State Farm Insurance
Captive Insurance Agents
- Local Insurance Agents that work for the above companies are restricted by the company they work for. While they may act like they are providing choices, they can only offer you the one product from the insurance company they work for. While the car insurance seems like it may fit your needs, many times you can purchase a better product from a different company at the same or less money.
Business Insurance Broker
- An business insurance broker is someone who does not have access to any one company but they can search the market for you. With this type of insurance professional, they will not have any authority with the business insurance company you choose, so the service to you will be limited.
Independent Insurance Agents
- The perfect balance of the two above, Independent Insurance Agents have authority with not one, but many different insurance companies. They are not forced to sell you something that doesn’t work for you. These guys and gals work hard to match your needs with affordable auto insurance that fits your budget. This is typically your best option assuming they have companies that understand your type of business.